Dear DEDP Families,
Welcome to the Driscoll School Extended Day Program for the 2012-2013 school year! I would like to extend a special welcome to all of our new families, especially in pre-kindergarten and kindergarten.
Please take a few moments to review the following important information about DEDP.
* Please notify the program either in writing or by telephone if your child:
a) Will not be attending the program for any reason on a particular day
b) Will be arriving late for any reason
c) Will be picked up by someone other than the authorized person(s)
Email is a great way to get information to us at any time. We ask that you email us before noon on a given day as we are not at the computer during program hours. After 12:15 p.m. please call us at 617-738-4632. We check the answering machine approximately every 20-40 minutes.
* Medication -DEDP staff can only administer medication if we have a signed Medical Consent Form available on our website dedpbrookline.org or DEDP offfice. The medication must be in its original container with directions from the physician. No medication will be dispensed unless these requirements are met. If your child has an epi pen and/or inhaler there is an additional DEDP form to be completed.
* Sign Out - Please make sure to sign your child out each day at pick up time. The sign out clipboard during outside time are located on the inside fence on the playground. At all other times the sign out clipboards are located on the tables in cafeteria. The outside door leading into the cafeteria is open for extended day pick up after 2:20 p.m.
* Home Toy Policy- We are requesting that children do not bring toys or games from home. It is very difficult to keep track of these types of things and they often end up lost or broken.
* Homework Time-Children in grades 2-5 have the opportunity to participate in homework time directly after snack time. This is a time when the room is kept quiet and a teacher is available to assist when necessary. Homework time will begin on Monday, September 10 . A contract must be completed for your child to participate in homework time.
* Parent Communication-Our teaching staff welcomes your input, questions and concerns will remain in touch with you regarding your child’s progress. Please note that it is difficult for teachers to engage in long conversations with parents when they are supervising groups of children. If you would like to speak more than briefly with a teacher about your child, we ask that you call DEDP and leave a message and the teacher will return your call, or speak withdirector who will assist you. We really do appreciate your understanding with this issue. Parent conferences will be held twice a year . If you would like to request conference at any other time, please feel free to ask for one to be scheduled.
*Cubbies and Hooks -All DEDP cubbies and hooks are located in the hallways of Driscoll School. We ask that children use them during DEDP hours and ask that children don't leave items in their cubbies or on their hooks during non DEDP hours. Children at DEDP do not have assigned cubbies or hooks.
* Late Policy A DEDP staff person waits with children until the last child is picked up. Anyone arriving after 6 p.m. will be charged a $1.00 per minute. If you are running late after 6 pm. it is very helpful if you call ahead and let the staff know. This way we can reassure your child (or children) that an adult will soon be here for them. Please note that calling ahead does not excuse you from the late night fee. It is a very good idea to have a few backup people you can call to pick up your child in the event that you encounter some unexpected delay (such as atraffic accident or poor weather conditions). Our Pre-K program ends at 2:15 p.m. as the staff prepares for picking up kindergartners at 2:20 p.m, the late policy applies to the Pre-K program after 2:15 p.m.
*Snacks and Birthdays- DEDP provides a daily snack for all children in the program. We are totally nut free in all of the food that we serve. Sometimes children are hungry later in the afternoon. You are welcome to pack an additional nut free snack in your child’s lunchbox or backpack if you would like to do so. Due to food allergies, DEDP does not allow special snacks or treats to be sent in for birthdays or other occasions. If you would like to donate a book to DEDP in honor of their birthday you are more than welcome to do so.
*Tuition Payments- All tuition payments go directly to our bookkeeper, Linda Chessman. Full Day Programs and Supplemental Care payment should be given directly to the DEDP office. Please contact Linda regarding payment and tuition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions or concerns about any of this information, please feel free to call or stop by the office and speak with me. You will also find more information regarding the program in the DEDP Parent Handbook which can be found on our website. Please let us know if you prefer a paper copy of the handbook. Again, I look forward working with all of you in the year ahead. Thanks for taking the time to read this!